Choosing the right swimsuit can be difficult. There are so many different brands and styles, not to mention all the materials to choose from.
One very important element that you should consider when choosing a swimsuit is whether or not it is chlorine proof.
What are Chlorine Proof Swimsuits and Why You Should (n’t – ?) Have One
Chlorine proof swimsuits are exactly what they sound like, swimsuits that are not damaged by extensive exposure to chlorinated water.
In this article, I want to tell you a little bit about chlorine proof suits as well as give you a little information about what you should look for in a quality swimsuit.
But What Is It – Chlorine?
So what is chlorine exactly? Most people know that swimming pools have chlorine in them, but what is it?
Chlorine is an antiseptic chemical that kills germs and keeps your pool clean. Some pools have more chlorine than others, which is great for sanitary purposes, but not so great for your swimsuit.
Chlorine Proof Swimsuits – So Yes or No?
If you are planning on spending a lot of time in the pool you should buy a chlorine proof swimsuit. Chlorine proof suits are perfect for those who are going to be swimming in a chlorinated pool every day, such as athletic swimmers or those who practice water aerobics or pool yoga.
Chlorine proof swimwear is made out of 100% Polyester. Polyester does not breakdown when it comes into contact with chlorine, meaning that you can wear it to the pool every single day and not have to worry about the material being degraded by the chemicals.
Chlorine Damage – Is it really THAT bad?
You may be wondering what the big deal is. Is chlorine really that damaging to your swimsuit? Did you ever notice that after a long summer of pool swimming, the material of your swimsuit starts to thin and lose its elasticity?
That is because most swimsuits are made out of lycra. Lycra is a wonderful synthetic material that is also known as spandex or elastane.
Lycra is what gives your swimsuit that lovely silky smooth feel. It also has great elastic properties, which is why your swimsuit fits like a second skin.
The only trouble with lycra is that it is not chlorine proof. If exposed to chlorinated water too often, the chlorine will start to disintegrate the material, which is why your swimsuit starts to become thin and worn out.
Chlorine Proof Versus Chlorine Resistant
You may see some swimsuits that are labeled chlorine resistant instead of chlorine proof.
Chlorine resistant swimsuits can be made out of lycra and polyester, or sometimes lycra and nylon, blended materials. This means that these suits are more resistant to chlorine, but will still eventually breakdown if exposed to it too much.
Chlorine resistant swimsuits are a great option for those who may not be in the pool every day but still swim frequently, such as those who attend once-a-week water aerobics.
What To Do With Lycra?
If you have a swimsuit that you absolutely love that is not chlorine proof, there are a few things you can do to preserve it, such as avoid chlorine altogether.
You can save that swimsuit for days at the beach where the fresh water does not contain the harsh chlorine. Or you can wear your swimsuit on days when you just feel like sunbathing.
If you really want to wear a non-chlorine proof suit to the pool, make sure you rinse your swimsuit out as soon as you’re done swimming. A quick rinse can remove a lot of the chlorine, hindering the potential damage. Then as soon as you get home, make sure you wash your swimsuit with a gentle detergent.
But really, the best choice for the pool is a chlorine resistant or chlorine proof swimsuit. Check out the cute and highly functional chlorine resistant swimsuits here:
Who Should Wear Chlorine Proof Swimwear?
As we have already mentioned, anyone who is planning on spending a lot of time in the pool should choose a chlorine proof swimsuit.
This means swimming athletes, such as anyone on a swim team or in training for a triathlon.
For families who have home swimming pools, chlorine proof suits would also be beneficial. Since everyone in the family will most likely be spending time in the pool, you may as well choose swimwear that will not be degraded by the chlorine.
Choosing A Chlorine Proof Swimsuit
Now that you know the importance of choosing the proper swimwear materials, let’s talk about what to look for in a chlorine proof swimsuit.
- Keep in mind that these suits can be a bit more expensive than regular swimsuits, but the extra money will definitely be worth it.
- Do not worry, if you are looking for chlorine proof swimwear for the whole family, there are several companies that make chlorine proof suits for the kiddos too!
- When you go to purchase your new swimwear make sure you choose a suit that is 100% polyester.
- There are many companies that make chlorine proof suits now, so you should not have trouble finding the style and design that you want. Every style, from traditional professional style swimsuits to modest pool to gym options are available.
- There are even some companies that make chlorine proof suits out of recycled materials, so you can have a quality swimsuit and help the environment at the same time.
- Another great benefit of purchasing a chlorine proof suit is that the 100% polyester material is also sturdier than lycra, so it will not lose its shape with excessive wear. This is particularly helpful for athletes who need their suits to fit perfectly.
- If you are looking for swimwear that is suitable for athletics, make sure you choose a swimsuit that is well-fitted.
- If your swimsuit is too tight, it can hinder movement and be uncomfortable. If you choose a suit that is too big, it could slow you down or cause chaffing where the fabric is loosely moving around.
- Be sure to choose a swimsuit that has narrow straps that sit close to your neck or, preferably, straps that cross in the back. This will ensure that your straps do not slip down and hinder shoulder movement.
Polyester is also a quick-drying material, making it perfect for both athletes and children, as well as anyone else who is planning on wearing their swimsuits for long periods of time.
==> We Have Managed to Find Fashionable Yet Functional Chlorine Proof Swimsuits – Check Them Out Here <==
Chlorine proof swimsuits are a great choice for anyone who is planning a lot of pool time. Although regular swimsuits are great for casual use or time at the beach, lycra based suits are not designed to hold up to constant chlorine exposure.
If you or any of your family members are going to be spending a substantial amount of time in the pool, it is best to invest in swimwear that can stand up to the pool chemicals.
Just remember to look for 100% polyester material, so you will know that it is chlorine proof.
There are many companies that make chlorine proof suits now, so you will not have to worry about not being able to find the styles you want, even if you are looking for modest designs or gym to pool styles, they are available!
A chlorine proof suit is a great investment for anyone who is going to be seeing a lot of the pool, so if that is you, get out there and use your newly gained information to find the perfect chlorine proof suit for you!